D7 v4.4.3, now allows PRE-RELEASE updating!
Starting with D7 v4.4.3, just released, I am allowing people to download PRE-RELEASE versions of D7 within the D7 updater.
This means that prior to v4.4.4 (and future versions) releases, you’ll be able to download them ahead of time while they are still being developed.
Naturally, the PRE-RELEASE version may (or may not!) be more buggy, however it might also be more (or less!) stable, depending on code changes at the time.
So if you like to stay current with bleeding edge updates, or you know of a problem with D7 you think I might have fixed already, try it.
D7 Help Menu (or right click on the system tray icon) > Check for D7 Pre-Release Updates
- You will not be automatically notified of pre-release updates as you are with official releases.
- Additionally, pre-release updates may or may not contain a newer version number, so even the pre-release update checker won’t always know if the pre-release version is newer.
- This is because I may update a pre-release update multiple times before it becomes an official release; with these multiple updates, the pre-release version number won’t change until the next official release.
- So for example if one day you update to pre-release v4.4.4 at 12 noon, by 5pm I’ll probably have updated the pre-release v4.4.4 one or more times since you first downloaded, and the D7 pre-release update check routine won’t know that – you will have to force an update to get the most current pre-release version.
- Also, the revision history / release notes may not be current with pre-release versions.