Just a little tip from the WTF box: I like to buy bulk ground meats, like sometimes turkey, lamb, or of course beef. Actually, the wife likes to get roasts ground by the butcher for our beef. Didn’t do that as a bachelor, but I did do this:
- Get ground meat in bulk, and some quart sized freezer grade zip-locks or equivalents.
- Separate meat into roughly 1lb blobs, place each blog inside the zip-lock bag.
- Seal the zip-lock most of the way, leaving an inch of breathing room.
- Pat down the trapped meat until it is flat and fills all corners of the zip-lock, pushing out air.
- Complete the seal on the zip-lock and stack the finished flat bricks on top of each other.
Now you’ve got 1lb blocks of frozen meat that will freeze quickly, stack conveniently in your freezer, and thaw completely in mere minutes by soaking the zip-lock in water or even by utilizing the microwave (not recommended, water works just as fast and doesn’t cook the meat around the edges prematurely.)