You can use the migration process to migrate to a new FTP server (including to/from our hosted server), or you can also use this process to change account and/or connection settings on the same FTP server.
Before you start (Important!):
Migrating your existing clients is a simple process, but there are some things to consider before you start. Your existing server MUST remain in operation, and if settings are changed the old settings MUST remain valid, at least until all client software has adopted the new server/settings.
- Therefore, if you use this process to upgrade server settings (e.g. non-SSL to SSL) then the server must support non-SSL connections until all client software has updated their config to adopt the new settings.
- Also for this reason, if you are only changing a password, you should ALSO change the username. In this way your old username/password can continue to operate alongside your new username/password, until all client software has adopted the new settings. If you must change only the password, then you need to keep the old password active until all client software has updated (allowing already updated client software to simply fail subsequent connections during this time.)
- Client software will adopt the new settings only when it updates it’s configuration from the existing FTP server. This occurs as you have configured it (at every application start if configured, or at every heartbeat if configured) and this also occurs before every scheduled maintenance task executes.
- If you do not keep the existing server/settings available, all client software that has not yet updated it’s configuration will fail to connect with the existing server/settings, never adopting the new settings!
Prerequisites: You must be running dSupportSuite Mgmt Console v19.1.14 or higher!
- Open dSupportSuite Mgmt Console. Select “Migrate to New FTP Server” from the “Options” menu.
- Next you will see a prompt asking you to click YES to proceed.
- After the prompt, you will see a configuration dialog for both your existing and new server settings.
- Existing settings can be pre-populated by clicking the “<- Use Current” button.
- Use the test buttons! Both your existing and new FTP server logins must test successful before you can proceed.
- Once configured and tested, click Continue.
- Be patient! Migration can take several minutes for every 10 clients or so.
What migration does specifically:
- Connects to the existing server, ensuring all of your Client ID configs have downloaded.
- Modifies all of th existing config files for all Client IDs to point them to your new FTP server settings.
- Next it uploads the configs to both the existing server as well as the new server.
When migration is completed all of your deployed copies of dSupportSuite will receive the new server settings on their next update check, providing the old server/settings are still available for the software to obtain the new settings from!