For your FTP server, note that you only need one unique FTP account for each Foolish IT app.
- Download and install FileZilla Server with all default options.
- In the FileZilla console, you want to add one user account, which can be named anything you want.
- Give that user a Home Directory.
- Allow all permissions to that directory.
- The directory may be anywhere on your server’s hard drive.
Configuring Passive FTP
Finally you’ll need to configure FileZilla to use a specific port range for FTP passive mode. Actually any range in the upper blocks will do, but I’ve used ports 50000 – 51000 in the Windows Firewall setup example in the previous section, so we need to use those here also! Also you will need to specify your external IP address (when static) or select the Retrieve External IP Address From option (useful for when you are on DHCP.) Note since your Amazon EC2 Instance will have a static public IP address, you may use that instead of selecting the Retrieve External IP Address option.
Now you’re finished!
You should be able to login to your new FTP server via FileZilla client or your Foolish IT application.