Malware Search Tool is used in manually seeking out malicious files and folders on the target partition, although it doesn’t itself detect malware (outside the optional hash definitions) it merely provides you with a smart inspection interface to assist in manually examining the file system. The target partition can be either the local/currently running operating system partition, or it can be an “offline” operating system partition (such as an OS partition from a drive attached to a tech bench computer, or when booted from a WinPE based boot disk.)
File System Inspection – Notes:
- Default file extensions included in all searches: exe,com,scr,cpl,pif,dll,sys,dat,ocx,cmd,bat,vbs,ax,bin,job and files without an extension (*all other file extensions are excluded.)
- *In addition, the Desktop, Start Menu, and Startup Folder scans include .lnk files (shortcuts) so you can examine the target file they point to. (Req. d7x v19.1.25 or better.)
- In some scans directories themselves are included, but not with every scan.
- To examine a file in the results list, double-click it for more detailed information, including signature verification and a VirusTotal result if possible. (Note that VirusTotal queries are limited.)
- When selecting an action such as “Delete” on shortcuts (lnk files) you will be prompted also to delete the target file (e.g. an .exe file) that the shortcut points to. Likewise, examining a shortcut (by double-click) will instead examine the target file.
- Any searches that include a user profile based folder will search that folder in ALL user profiles on the system.
- Suspicious Files scan searches the local/roaming application data folders for each user account, the application data\Microsoft folders for each user account, program data, and program files/program files (x86) if exist. No subdirectories are searched.
- Custom Smart Scan is a massive scan that searches the following locations: The local/roaming application data folders for each user account and subdirectories, program data and subdirectories, and the Windows and subdirectories. The only search that scans more areas is the Custom Partition Search which of course scans the entire partition.
- Other searches should be self-explanatory.
Registry Inspection – Notes:
- To be continued…
Join us for live tech chat, product questions, support, and technical training right here!
Customer or not, you are welcome to drop in and discuss anything ‘tech’ with us!
New(ish) App: KillEmAll Mini v19.2.2 has been released! KillEmAll is a ‘panic’ button with an ‘ask questions later’...
dSupportSuite Client Software v19.1.29 Release Notes Changes in dSupportSuite Client Software v19.1.29: The dSupportSuite real-time event...