D7 v7.4.39 and exciting new Custom Apps features!
There is a new “Import Config File(s) Before Running” option under your custom apps configuration. This box has multiple uses, let me start with the main one:
- Copy custom configuration files to the custom app’s directory before running the app. Very useful for apps like CCleaner and Defraggler where they generate an INI file with your custom settings when you configure them to your preferences.
- The new checkbox “Update After” will wait for the custom app to finish, and then copy the configuration file back to D7’s Config3rd Party Configs directory to save your custom configuration for future use – to then be copied over the next time you run the custom app.
- CCleaner and Defraggler default profiles have been updated to automatically utilize both of these options, so all you have to do now for example is run CCleaner, configure it the way you like it, and close the app. It’s configuration will then be saved and copied back the next time you run it.
Now what about apps that utilize the registry for configuration?
- Well simply specify a .REG file in the Import Config File(s) Before Running box, and that registry file will be automatically imported to the local registry before running the app!!
- Want D7 to automatically back up the registry settings to be imported? Again, no problem! There is another new box called Export/Save Registry Settings Key Below After Running. Specify a registry location that your custom app uses to store it’s settings here, and they will be automatically backed up after the app has run!
- Useful for apps like PatchMyPC that store settings in the registry (whose default configuration was also updated to reflect the new functionality.)
So basically now all you have to do is run your app, configure it the way you want, and it will always have that configuration on any new PC that you run it on!!!!!
A bit of alternate functionality takes it one step further, (though I haven’t figured out a good use for it yet) is if you specify a .BAT/.CMD/.VBS file in the Import Config File(s) Before Running box, it will copy the batch/vbs file to the application’s directory, then run it from there before executing your custom app!
All config files specified in the Import Config box when the Update After box is checked will be copied to the D7Config3rd Party Configs directory. This directory is where you should also save any batch/vbs script files.
Also, the D7Config3rd Party Configs directory is included when you use the Sync D7 Configuration function to keep all of your various D7 copies up to date!!!